So I'm currently sitting in the library. Let me remind you that it is a Friday. And I am in Spain. Unfortunately, due to the Spanish school system, I am all of the sudden up to my eyeballs in work that needs to get done. Another unfortunate fact is that after about 6 months of not doing any school work, my brain is having a hard time understanding why it needs to be reading and writing in such excess all of the sudden. Therefore, here I am blogging- something that I find to be much more enjoyable and beneficial for everyone!
So first off, I have some good news! I just found out that I got into Holy Cross' Summer Internship Program. Now this does not guarantee anything, including an internship, but the process included submitting a cover letter, resume, and doing an interview, so I'm very happy to have gotten in. Now this means that I have another way to procrastinate by trying to find internships for next summer!
Last weekend my parents were here, which was SO great. They got here around noon on Friday, and left early early Tuesday morning. It was a quick visit, but a great one none the less. We had awful weather, but it was still fun to walk around and show them my city. For once it was me knowing exactly where I was and how to get places, instead of following my parents around Boston, where they know all the short-cuts and side streets. We also ate some amazing food, including typical Galician food such as octopus. I'm pretty sure we had octopus at every meal except for breakfasts. The most typical way is Pulpo a la Feira, which is just boiled, cut up into little circles, and sprinkled with some paprika and salt. Simple but delish! We also went to this restaurant called Abica, which may have had some of the most delicious food I've ever tasted. We got this one thing which was a piece of white fish, a roasted pepper, and some cheesy sauce all on top of a piece of toasted bread. SO good. Words can not even begin to describe it.
Although stores were closed on Sunday and Monday due to a holiday, we were still able to get some shopping in on Saturday. Dad got a stylish pair of high-top sneakers and mom a very Euro scarf from a store called Massismo Dutti.
I'm feeling much better than I have, in all ways, in a long time. I think having my parents here, and being able to talk to them about everything was just what I needed. I'm having a really good time here, and getting a fresh start with my host family. I was nervous that I was going to be in a culture shock/homesick funk until Christmas, but I think, for now (knock on wood) I'm through it. The study abroad website says that most people hit the culture shock low around Thanksgiving, but I guess it just must have hit me hard and fast at the beginning. Thankfully from here on out I'll be pretty busy. I'm going to see my friend Ross in London on Thursday!! Then 2 weeks after that I'll be in Amsterdam for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I'll then be going to Paris/Strasbourg in the beginning of December and seeing my best friends Elizabeth and Claire. Then, before you know it, it's Christmas!! For my family reading this- I can not wait! The other night for dessert we had "arroz con leche" which is basically like Christmas star, but more pudding-esque. I also plan on bringing some traditional Spanish Christmas treats to add to the eclectic mix of food we have on Christmas Eve.
I think I might have mentioned this before, but the lack of Thanksgiving here really eliminates that separation of holidays. So I leave you now listening to "I'll be home for Christmas" dreaming of sugar plums and christmas trees. Maybe tomorrow I'll even go get some roasted chestnuts that they're selling on the street...just to get myself in the mood. Also, FYI- Mariah Carey has a new xmas CD out, which includes the song: All I Want for Christmas Is You (extra festive edition). That's right. As if the first one was not festive enough, she has extra festivized it.
Okay, I should probably get back to my work! Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment