Saturday, August 21, 2010

Arrival!

So as we speak I am sitting in my hotel/apartment in Pamplona, Spain. I'm still not quite sure that it's setting in that I will be in Spain for the next 10 months. I'm sure it'll kick in sometime, as in when I am not completely exhausted from 12+ hours of traveling! So let me explain that, and EVERYTHING that went wrong.
1. So we were supposed to take a plane from Boston to D.C buuut that got delayed to the point that we would have missed our connecting flight to Madrid. So the extremely grumpy woman at the gate (named B.J...really) got us all onto a flight to Newark, NJ and then a direct flight from Newark to Madrid.
2. Woo! We got onto the flight to Newark! My two fellow seat mates were most likely reigned the King and Queen of PDA (public displays of affection). I honestly felt as though I was third-wheeling on a date. They were kissing, rubbing, hugging, hands all overing each other as I awkwardly sat next to them. At least I had the aisle?
3. We are finaallly going to Spain!! Naturally the seat in front of me has this weird box thing stuck to the bars of the chair, so I'm not able to put my backpack under the char in front of me. In addition to pissing off the flight attendants, it makes it a little uncomfortable for the next 6 hours. After watching Shawshank Redemption for the first time (shout to Mike Fask) I was able to slip into a nice slumber. A couple hours or so later I woke up though to the noise and lingering stench of a baby who had vomited on, what seemed to be everything (seats + parents included) on everything in the row right behind me.
4. After getting to Madrid and chilling in that airport for a good 4 hours, we were finally on our way to Pamplona. It was honestly the shortest flight of my life, 25 minutes in the air, and introduced me to the smallest airport of my life. The taxi drivers also had some very interesting faces as they looked at our copious amount of luggage, and their eco-friendly very small cabs. It all worked out though, and we were able to get to the hotel without leaving anyone on their own!

While traveling was extremely tiring, I do have to say that I feel very lucky that I have a lot of experience with it in the past. The actual traveling, airports, and flying were never things that I had even though to worry or stress out about. I could tell that this is not something that everyone else had the luxury of feeling. Another good feeling? Being able to talk solely in Spanish with the man at the Iberia ticket counter (except for when he quickly said aisle or window, and completely threw me off). Hopefully I'll be able to keep up my confidence with this whole language/travel thing and everything will continue to work out just fine! There were definitely a lot of bumps and hold ups on this journey, but we all made it here just fine and all in one piece, which is all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment