Classes started on Monday with a placement test, a tour of the school, and then our culture class. There are 2 levels, and I was put into the higher one. I was a little nervous but it's really not too bad at all. We have our grammar + conversation class from 9:30-11:40 where we just do a lot of worksheets and exercises. It's nice that the class is only 6 people, and we all know each other pretty well by now, so we all feel comfortable admitting when we're confusing and asking our professor (Miguel) questions. After the grammar and conversation class, everyone joins up back together for a culture/daily life class. It's really interesting in the past 2 days we've learned about a thing called botellón which pretty much sounds like people going to a park, bringing their own mixed drinks and pre-gaming outside together. I guess there have been some issues though because with the internet, people have been planning these giant, like 1000 people botellónes, which the government isn't a huge fan of.
Last night we got ourselves on the Spain schedule...and I think we're all still recooping from it. It was Drew's birthday, so we went to a REAL restaurant instead of the one that is in the hotel. I got squid and was definitely the bravest one with my choice, we also had sangria to drink (mmmm!). James (who's going to Coruña with me) and I shared a table with Julian, our director who just might be the most adorable man in the world. He's honestly the sweetest and cutest little guy ever. So we had to speak Spanish the entire dinner, but we learned some slang and cool phrases. Best part of the night? We left the restaurant and my friend Emily really needed to use the bathroom, so we found this really cool, modern looking public toilet out side. So she goes into it, but comes out because she couldn't find the toilet paper. We sent her back into it though, and all of the sudden she yelled OHHH MY GOD!!! IT'S RAINING ON MEEEE!! And she came running out. I almost peed my pants on the street! Julian came over trying to help, but she was so flustered that she couldn't even speak Spanish haha. We realized it was self-cleaning so she went in one more time. I guess the light inside went out though? And there was soap but no water? She was such a mess, and I was soo amused.
Anyways, after that whole ordeal we attempted to find a bar/club, anything to celebrate Drew's birthday, but it was prettty hard considering it was a Tuesday. Julian tried his best, and we ended up at a bar which had approximately 4 other people in it. It was still fun though, especially when I joined in on Dan and James' chat with the bartender. It was cool to listen to him talk, and get a real feel for the Spanish people. Anyways we finally left around 1:30 and got back to the apartment around 2. Waking up at 8:00 the next day? Not fun. At all.
I just woke up from a siesta (nap) about 45 minutes ago, and in 15 mins I'm heading off to a wine tasting. Does life get any better?
Also, I'm going to try and do a "learn a Spanish word" per blog. So today's word is:Tikis-Mikis (pronounced tee-kee-smee-keys). This is a VERRRYY colloquial term that means a "picky eater". I absolutely love the word, and am going to try and use it every single day that I am in Spain. I can't see it getting old any time soon...
Here are some pictures of my apartment and the casca vieja of Pamplona, which is like the old neighborhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment