So that was a longer hiatus than expected, my sincerest apologies to my faithful readers. To be honest there were multiple times that I had considered posting an updated, but I never really felt like I had enough to say. This has been a very interesting two weeks. The best word to describe it really is Transition. Let's just imagine being in this small city in Spain, living in a hotel with 15 other Americans your age, and having 3 roommates. Having ridiculously easy classes that end at 1:00 everyday, trips and excursions planned for you, and the most amazing program director- Julian. All of the you're on a 10+ hr train ride to a brand new city with 5 other people. Now all of the sudden I'm living in a house with a genuine Spanish family by myself, with no one else who speaks English. I found myself feeling very lonely and isolated a lot, which obviously just opens the door and beckons for homesickness to walk right in. Apologies to Mom, but there was even one day when I saw she was calling me on Skype and I couldn't even answer. I haven't cried (yet) but it definitely hasn't been easy.
I'm sorry this is so depressing, and I really don't want to freak anyone out, because I am having a great time! It's just that I think this is normal, and important for me to not forget. Studying Abroad is obviously fun, but it's a lot of work too. It's work to learn a language, to force yourself into social situations you might not feel comfortable in, and I haven't even touched on the work that classes is going to take.
That being said, things are getting better and better every day. One day, all of the sudden my little sisters were obsessed with me, which is definitely a good thing, but they are a handful. I'm apologizing in advance to any friends that my 9 year old sister, Maria, calls on Skype without me knowing. I've established a rule that she can't go on Skype unless I'm in the room, so hopefully that rule will be followed. I've also realized that I just have to keep moving, and I can't just sit in my pink floral wallpapered room. Even if that means going to a café by myself in the morning, I just have to move. It's when I'm not doing something is when I start to drive myself crazy.
Well some exciting things happening soon: Andy and Emily visiting for a long weekend Oct 8th, Mom and Dad coming Oct 29th, and I'm going to London to visit Ross Nov 12th!
Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment