Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Glimmer of Hope?

So I have big news. A Spanish first.
I had coffee with a spanish girl after class today. Let me do a little backtracking to explain how this happened. So I had my small group session of Social Psychology today, which had about 25 kids. I actually really like the class, the professor is really nice and given that fact that everyone else can understand his jokes and laughs a lot, I would bet that he'll be pretty funny when I get a better grasp on the language. Anyways, the students stopped laughing when he was explaining a research project we're going to have to do, which involves finding journal articles, which are basically ENTIRELY in English. Sitting in class I couldn't help but let a smile creep on my face. Thoughts going through my head: I'm back on top! Ahh how great it is to see English! I'll be able to understand this better than anyone in my class! and lastly, it dawned on me, this might give me a way to meet people...
For a reason I can't remember, my professor had already called me out and established in front of the entire class that I was American. When the rest of the class was freaking out about these articles in English, one girl kind of turned to me and was like, Kristen will help me, and I heard her say that she barely knew any English. So at the end of the class I took a deep breath, and offered her my email address to help her with the articles when she needed it. We walked out of the classroom together and she asked if I wanted to "tomar un café" aka- get a coffee with her. So exciting!!! Thoughts running through my head: SPANISH FRIENDDD! STUDY BUDDY! OH GOD PLEASE UNDERSTAND ME WHEN I'M SPEAKING SPANISH!
Thankfully she could generally understand me, and I think we're going to try and do like a language exchange thing, where she practices/learns English with me and I practice my Spanish with her. So yeah! That's my exciting news of the day!!

Spanish phrase of the post (I know I've been forgetting about this)
Get a coffee = tomar un café

2 comments:

  1. Cool news on the new friend - Hopefully you can help each other out! Even the frigid waters of Nauset are refreshing on a scorching summer day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kristen!! its Alec.. 6th Grades going great..Have fun in spain, we all miss you

    ReplyDelete