Monday, October 11, 2010

What Could Really Go Wrong?

So I guess you could say that I've had a streak of bad luck in the past couple weeks:

- A cold in the first week
- Last week I had a flu + stomach bug
- Went to the hospital
- Got my first IV
- I sprained my finger
- Lost my wallet on Saturday night

Now I should probably do a little explaining. The cold should have been a review for my loyal readers, since I'm pretty sure that I already talked about that. Of course as soon as I get over that, I have about a week and a half maybe of being healthy when all of the sudden I come down with a flu. I have felt that terrible in a very long time, and I hope I don't have to feel like it again for a while. Fever, unstoppable shivers, sweating,body aches, and the worst headache/migrane I'd ever experienced. Naturally my body doesn't feel like that's bad enough, so on day 2 I got a stomach bug that added nauseating stomach cramps and some gastrointestinal issues to the mix. I basically slept for about 72 hours straight. I was feeling awful, so when my "padre" asked if I wanted to see a doctor I decided that was a good idea. Apparently though the fastest way to see a doctor is to go to the ER of the hospital. I think because the medical/insurance system is different here, it seemed to be more of an American equivalent of a walk in clinic. The doctor examined me, did a blood test, and gave me an IV of basically really strong ibuprofen to get rid of my headache. The headache went away that night, but the stomach bug symptoms lasted a little bit longer. The good news is that I lost all of my appetite for about 5 days, so I think I lost a little weight!
Now the sprained finger is actually a pretty funny story. So my friends Emily and Andy are visiting James and I this weekend, which has been so nice. James and I went to pick them up at the bus station, and as soon as Emily and I spotted each other, she came running over to me. Now let me explain for those of you don't know her, Emily is shorter and significantly skinnier than me. We therefore blame her backpack for what occured. She's comes running at me and hugs me. Next thing we know, we're both on the ground, me on my back and she on top of me. All of the sudden I realized that my left pointer finger is basically numb, and within 5 minutes is about double the size of my other pointer finger. Poor Emily felt terrible, but nothing is broken, and it honestly hasn't even really hurt that much. It's a little black and blue now, and maybe a little swollen, but I basically have all range of movement with it, so it's fine.
The wallet issues is/was a little more stressful. I'm pretty sure I got pick-pocketed which really sucks, and is really surprising and unfortunate given that Coruña is such a safe city. So yeah, thank God for Skype, I was able to call my parents as soon as I got home. We got both my credit card and ATM card canceled. Today I'm going to open up a bank account so that they can wire some money to me, and hopefully I'll be getting a new credit card in about a week. I'm also in the process of getting a new drivers license sent to me. It was really stressful, but the good news is that I actually had no cash in my wallet, so whoever got it didn't really get much, except for an adorable, new Vera Bradley wallet.
So yeah, it definitely hasn't been the easiest couple weeks, but I'm trying to keep the attitude of whatever doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. I figure if I can get through all of this crap in the first couple months, I should be able to do anything in the next seven! That being said, I am counting down the days until I get to see my parents, I'm pretty sure that it's 18 days today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment